Specialized in Zoology sin 1987, I was always interested in comparative developmental biology and regeneration. My MSc in 1995 dealt with liver regeneration in Amphibia and my PhD in 2001 investigated tail autonomy in lizards and limb development in chick embryos. I started to be interested by the role of fobroblast growth factor-2 in development as well as in regenerative processes, especially in the CNS. I spent more than a decade in France working on trunk spinal cord regrowth after complete transection in lower amphibians. Locomotion recovery was my goal. It was spontaneously occurring in these models due to neurogenesis, which was my main line of research together with the role that FGF-2 and its four transmembrane receptors played in this important and vital phenomenon.
From there, I deviated my interests to computational neuroscience, especially in the field of neuroscience because it is the one field that could be done worldwide and with small funding. Basal ganglia and decision making are my main target. Besides, this filed allowed me to investigate human health problems such as epilepsy and mental health. In parallel, I am involved in the international project (MeSHe) in order to have a better insight about mental and somatic health worldwide.
Last but not least, I am interested in the role of women in science and how they can make big strides in the advancement of humanity.
- Khalil R, Moustafa AA, Moftah MZ, Karim AA (2017). How knowledge of Ancient Egyptian women can influence today’s gender role: Does history matter in gender psychology?. Front. Psychol. 7: 2053. doi: 10.3389/fpsyg.2016.02053
- Héricé C, Khalil R, Moftah MZ, Boraud T, Guthrie M, Garenne A (2016). Decision making under uncertainty in a spiking neural network model of the basal ganglia. J. Integr. Neurosci. 15(3): 1-24. doi: 10.1142/S021963521650028X
- Khalil R, Abo Elfetoh N, Moftah MZ, Khedr EM (2015). Acquired equivalence associative learning in GTC epileptic patients: experimental and computational study. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 9: 418. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2015.00418
- Zaky AZ and Moftah MZ (2015). Neurogenesis and growth factors expression aftercomplete spinal cord transection in Pleurodeles waltlii. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 8: 458. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2014.00458
- Mahmoud MA, Fahmy GH, Moftah MZ and Sabry I (2014). Distribution of nitric oxide-producing cells along spinal cord in urodeles. Front. Cell. Neurosci. 8: 299. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2014.00299
- Farghaly H.S.M., Abd-ellatief R.B., Moftah M.Z., Mostafa M.G., Khedr E.M., Kotb I.M (2014). The Effects of dexmedetomidine alone and in combination with tramadol or amitriptyline in a neuropathic pain model. Pain Physician 17:187-195.
- Zaky A., Mohammad B., Moftah M., Kandeel K. M., Bassiouny A. R. (2013). Apurinic/apyrimidinic endonuclease 1 is a key modulator of aluminum-induced Neuroinflammation. BMC neuroscience, 14: 26. doi: 10.1186/1471-2202-14-26
- Moftah, M., M. Landry, F. Nagy and J.M. Cabelguen (2012). Spatial distribution of fibroblast growth factor receptor 2 in normal and lesioned central nervous system of Pleurodeles waltlii. American Journal of Neuroscience, 3: 41-53. doi: 10.3844/amjnsp.2012.41.53
- Moftah M, Abdel Aziz SH, El Ramah S, Favereaux A (2011). Classification of Sharks in the Egyptian Mediterranean Waters Using Morphological and DNA Barcoding Approaches. PLoS ONE 6 (11): e27001. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0027001
- Bassiouny AR, Zaky AZ, Abdulmalek SA, Kandeel KM, Ismail A, Moftah M (2011). Modulation of AP- endonuclease1 levels associated with hepatic cirrhosis in rat model treated with human umbilical cord blood mononuclear stem cells. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 4 (7): 692-707. PMC 3209610
- Moftah M(2011). Metabotropic receptors for Glutamate and GABA in nociceptive transmission and pain regulation. Revue du Laboratoire SLANCOM - Université Alger 2: Neurobiologie du Comportement, 4: 19-40.?
- Fahmy GH; Moftah M (2010). FGF-2 in Astroglial Cellsduring Vertebrate Spinal Cord Recovery. Front Cell Neurosci 4:129. doi: 10.3389/fncel.2010.00129
- Moftah, M. Z., Landry, M., Nagy, F. and Cabelguen, J.-M. (2008) Fibroblast growth factor-2 mRNA expression in the brainstem and spinal cord of normal and chronic spinally transected Urodeles. J Neurosci Res 86 (15): 3348-3358. doi: 10.1002/jnr.21776
- Moftah M.Z., Downie S.A., Bronstein N.B., Mezentseva N., PuJ., Maher P.A. and Newman S.A. (2002). Ectodermal FGFs induce perinodular inhibition of limb chondrogenesis in vitro and in vivo via FGF receptor 2. Dev. biol. 2002; 249 (2): 270-282. doi: 10.1006/dbio.2002.0766
Associate professor in